Thursday, January 6, 2011

Not a Good Day

Thursday morning – one of my favorite classes.

Student: Mrs. Hackworth, do we have you next semester?

Me: I hope so, I have asked to have you again. I just love this class, so of course, I'm hoping that I will be your teacher next term....why?

Student: Because I looked on the internet and we have someone named Kathy.

Sucker punch to the stomach!

Kathy gets them. She's young, pretty, energetic, fun, and now, she's also very lucky!

I LOVE these kids. They are bright, articulate, so fun, eager, humorous, happy to sing the songs, delightful.

My heart sank. I almost started to cry. Not very professional. But, I recovered long enough to say, “You will really like Kathy. She is so much fun. She's pretty. She's great and you will learn a lot.”

My heart still hurts.

They will forget me after one week of having Kathy, but I will never forget the Thursday morning 8:30 a.m. class!

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure Kathy will be fun, but don't underestimate your own humor, beauty, and sincere love for these students. They will NOT forget.

    p.s. I'm curious to know if given the chance, would you do this again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loni, you are so funny! Your students love you. I just think it's so funny that it was posted online without you knowing. This China experience sounds a bit unorganized...with respect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom,
    Oh mom, I'm so sorry.... I know how much you really wanted to teach them again. That is so sad. But they will not forget you. They will always remember the funny and fun and good teacher, Mrs. Hackwort. I feel sorry for Kathy. She has big shoes to fill.

    ReplyDelete