Saturday, July 2, 2011

Lunch with Sammie



"I want to spend more time with you before you leave. Will you have lunch with me? And, of course, please bring your husband. Will Saturday be alright?" she asked, just as class was over.


There were throngs of students milling around, it was noisy, confusing, as the final class and good-byes concluded, etc. We agreed to meet at the Main Gate at 11:30 on Saturday.


The next day, I remembered our arrangment, but I couldn't remember who had asked to meet us!


No matter, when I arrived at the main gate and saw a familiar face, I'd know who we were eating with that afternoon.


However, early Saturday, came an email reminding me of our appointment, and of course, now I remembered...it was Sammie - dear lovely Sammie. Front row, Sammie. Sammie with the great big smile always.


And, so we ate lunch with Sammie...just the three of us.


She was so appreciative of the opportunities to speak English in class....she felt so much more confident than she had upon arriving at the university. She was so beautiful and kind.


It was a wonderful way to end our time with our freshmen students.


NOTE: two of Allen's freshmen students (Maggie and Linda) took us to the very same restaurant two nights ago. His students also were so appreciative of their opportunities to speak English with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment