Saturday, November 13, 2010

Cultural Differences

The first time I saw it happen, I was totally shocked.

The man was walking right in front of us on a busy road leading to the campus. He just unzipped his pants and relieved himself right in the open. Total disbelief.

Since that time, I have seen several little boys do the same thing. One time recently, just right outside the front door of the little market, a little boy just stood off to the side of the step and went in the bushes in front of everyone passing by.

Two days ago, a little boy's mother told him to aim for the storm drain, which he did producing a high arc for all the world to see. There have been others also.

But, I guess the one that shocked me the most was yesterday at the zoo. Ruth and I, were in fact, looking for the toilette ourselves. We saw a little ice cream stand, and thinking there might be a restroom near, we walked towards it. (Yesterday, all the children in Guangzhou got out of school for the opening ceremonies of the Asian Games, so the zoo was packed with hordes of people. That's one reason this surprised me so much.)

Right next to the ice cream stand was a little walkway, with dozens of people walking by. Squatting right on the walk facing the hordes of people, a little girl of ten was "doing her thing," while her mother helped her. NOTHING, and I do mean nothing was private...

I quickly turned away, thinking....WOW, it's just a different mentality here.

1 comment:

  1. This cannot be sanitary!!! I saw it in Paris and, like you, could hardly believe what I was seeing. The USA may have its challenges, but thank goodness that isn't one of our accepted practices.

    ReplyDelete