Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tuesday Nights

Catch the bus at 5:20 p.m.

Arrive at the South Campus between 6 and 6:20 depending on the traffic. Walk the dark, deserted streets to teaching building A.

Set up teaching computer station for 6:30 class.

Look out at sea of 56 backs of 56 computer monitors....can see one tall boy in back row. See 55 tops of black hair above 56 monitors.

Stand up and begin class...sing a song, welcome students, walk around wishing I knew their names and faces.

After class, decided to try something new next week. Each week, I will move the back row up to the front, moving the front row back one row. Then I will be able to see those faces that have been a million miles away.

And, I WILL learn their names and faces. I WILL listen to each one individually some way, somehow.

Get on bus at ten, and arrive home at 10:45.

Tuesdays -a challenge.

3 comments:

  1. I'm tired just reading this! Good luck. I think it sounds like a wonderful adventure (especially in hindsight).

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing. I love your challenge to yourself to learn everyone's name. I remember when you did that at the middle school, and made such a difference in the lives of those students. You are my hero! Beverly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy you - I never would even think of what to do.

    ReplyDelete