Friday, November 26, 2010

Feeling Famous

"You are invited to English Corner on Wednesday night at 7:00. Please to come and be our guests."

We had heard about English corner. It's an outside-class event, giving the students an oportunity to speak English in a non-threatening environment.

Walking there in the dark on Wednesday night, I wasn't so keen on going, but we had said yes, so I had to go.

As soon as we walked in, hordes of students thronged around us...they hung on our every word...they listened intently. We had to sit at different tables, so some could listen to Allen, some could listen to me.

After the meeting, the games, and the farewells, they wanted our pictures, EVEN TEEN-AGE BOYS wanted to be in a picture with the old lady from America. As we walked out the door, they followed us. A teen-age boy, who had been so kind and helpful, invited me to come to a Thanksgiving celebration his friends were having!

It was unbelievable. I'm still in shock!

And, I'm grateful. I love their innocence, their goodness, their love/respect of older people. Whenever I am with a Chinese student going down the stairs, they say, "Be careful." The teenagers give us their seats on the busses.

This is a new experience for us!

1 comment: