Thursday, October 21, 2010

Photo Phrenzy

For about one half hour today, I felt like a famous person. It was incredible, really.

Here's what happened; the students put on a foreign festival fair. There were booths from many different countries lining the sidewalk near the entrance to campus. Each booth had food items from the native countries, such as Spain, Mauritius, India, Russia, Brazil, and lots more. (But, one of Allen's students asked where the American booth was...we didn't see one.)

There were hundreds and hundreds of students there, tasting the food, buying the vodka and wine, just having a grand old time.

Now, here's where the famous person bit comes in....many times, as we were winding our way through the booths, which were filled with so many people, total strangers would come up and ask if they could be in a photo with us...or many of our students would ask if they could take our picture?

It was so strange....is it because we are old? gray-haired? fat? Did I have broccoli hanging from my teeth (which I often do here!)

"So this is what it feels like to be famous and walk through a crowd of people," I thought to myself. But, alas, it was over very quickly, and now we are just back to our normal selves in our homey apartment.

They say fame is fleeting, and now I know that to be true.

3 comments:

  1. When we first went to China, we could barely walk down the street because of the crowds thronging around us. Then someone at church told me that she thought it had to do with body language. She said that when she first got to China, it happened to them too. But over time her body language changed and people stopped approaching them. That turned out to be the case with us too. There would be an occasional time when someone would ask for my autograph, but usually they left us alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh? Body Language? Was it because you were the only Americans? That is funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's your blonde hair. How fun for you....you got a little bit of attention without the bad press or parasitic papparazzi!

    Now I can say my parents are famous! I always knew you would be.

    ReplyDelete