Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Tuesday Frustration

There are 55 of them. Both students and desks.

If I am at the front desk, all I can see is the black backs of 55 monitors, no faces, just 55 monitors staring back at me. If I get up and walk around, which I do often, I can look into their eyes, but there are so many, and we meet only once a week for 80 minutes. And, they all seem so far away and far removed.

How can I listen to each one individually, help them individually?

Even learning their names is posing a huge challenge, because I can never see their faces!

They are eager; I'm willing, but I'm at a loss sometimes; most of the time.

Tuesday night, I was quite ill. My hands were shaking when I put something on the board.

But, as they say, the show must go on.

I tried something new. It was so great - I think the students enjoyed it also (except for group 6 who had to meet in the freezing hallway...sorry, group 6, you'll get the warmest spot next time!)

Unlike my other 5 classrooms, this room has movable chairs - oh, it's a bugger when you can't move chairs around! Anyway, we divided into groups for their presentations. I went around to listen to as many as I could, but still, I didn't hear many of them.

I feel inadequate, as does Allen. Much is riding on this. They will be tested on their oral English skills, but I'm at a loss as how to best help them. I'll just keep praying and trying.

But, it's a challenge.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know of a soul who is more dedicated, tries as hard, gives it as much thought, consideration or cleverness, or offers genuine love. All of that will count for something, and in fact is probably just as important as professional English teaching credentials.

    Are there tests along the way so you can gauge progress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant I don't know of a soul better qualified than you and pappa. I can understand you nervousness though. I'm sure that weighs heavily on your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, cute photo. They all look happy in your class :)

    ReplyDelete