Friday, October 8, 2010

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly....


on the Silk Road Trip.

The Good -
1. the incredible people who made the trip with us. 48 English teachers from all over western China. We laughed, we sang, we talked, but no one ever got upset or angry, even when two ladies were an hour late getting to the bus because they got lost in a huge tourist area.

2. the things we were able to do and the incredible, amazing sights we saw. I still cannot comprehend some of the places we were able to visit....such as the Mogao Grottoes. I had never heard of them, thought we were going to visit some ordinary caves and I was absolutely blown away by what the Buddhist monks had done, Centuries ago, in not only constructing the huge caves, but in the carvings inside the caves. (I thought the buildings in Europe were old, hey, they are just little kids compared to what we saw!)

The Bad -
1. the beds in the 4 and 3 star hotels. Some people actually got bruised in the night. It was like sleeping on a sheet of plywood. Seriously, it was so hard...who could sleep? Not I, that's who!
2. the Chinese breakfasts day after day. My stomach was not really prepared emotionally for steamed lettuce, steamed broccoli, steamed cucumbers, and steamed water at six in the morning.

The Ugly -
my leg...I got bit the first night in the 4 star hotel by something. For the next few days, my leg was puffy, swollen, red; and it hurt terribly to walk. I think it was a snake because there were two identical little round holes, side by side where his fangs probably bit into me...yeah, right.

But, how do you describe a once-in-a-lifetime experience like we just had?!?!?!?!

You just say, WOW, WOW, WOW.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, riding a camel. What is with the orange boots? You are right - once in a lifetime opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! You need to blow this up so each of your kids can frame it. I love it!

    ReplyDelete