Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Time Out to Read

The days we are not in class, we spend many hours at the computer working on our lessons.


Or typing out our class rolls. Yesterday, I typed in the 62 names of kids who signed the roll for my Tuesday evening class. When I deleted one student that I had accidentally typed in twice, the rest of the class was deleted. An hour and a half wasted, wasted, wasted!


F*R*U*S*T*A*T*I*O*N C*I*T*Y!


But, I have just read two books that left me breathless...for two different reasons.


Last week, we were on a long trip; lots of hours in the plane and in a bus, so I read:

The Bookseller of Kabul - which is a look at one family in Afghanistan. The book made me so angry, heartbroken, sad, in despair. It is the story of one man's power over his family: his sisters, his children, his wife, his brothers, his employees. And, it is the story of the plight of women in Afghanistan. It is a must-read for people trying to understand a patriarchal/power society. When I put the book down, I was speechless at the injustice, the slavery, the wearing of the burqa. And, I was so incredibly grateful to be born in America.....what a book!

Then, in between frustration city and working on lessons, I just read a very quick/easy/inspiring book - again a true story. It also left me breathless at the power of what one person can achieve. It was such an incredible story of love, service, and Christian goodness.

Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Brought Them Together.

WOW, what a story/book. I loved it because it is true and so very inspiring.
Okay, so now it's back to work - typing in class rolls, working on lessons, and enjoying life in the big city of Guangzhou!

But, I just want to add that I love the power of words and authors who know how to put the words together to create a compelling, rich story.

Thank you for books!

No comments:

Post a Comment