Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas in Guangzhou

So, here it is - my first Christmas without bows, wrapping paper, cards to mail, gifts to buy, goodies to be made. And, that was okay. But, it was also my first Christmas - EVER - without family. That was not okay. But, you know what? Next year will be great and for one year, this was really a marvelous opportunity and blessing.

I enjoyed my Christmas in China!

The kids loved it when a student from the class dressed up as Santa and passed out candy. What's not to love - everyone loves Santa and candy! I had to teach each Santa how to say, HO! HO! HO! Skinny and Chinese - not your usual Santa Claus!
Here I am surrounded by the Tuesday night class of 60 students. I taught them about Christmas caroling and we sang to some office personnel. Aren't they cute!?!?!
Waiting for our Christmas dinner of turkey, stuffing, mashed potaotes and gravy prepared by Chinese cooks.


Behold - the Turkey....it was mighty, might tasty. Just like an American turkey! Loved it.

Behold the dressing - Chinese stuffing made out of something - but definitely NOT bread. I didn't try it, but Chye said it was very spicey! The gravy for the mashed potatoes was tomato sauce.

Gotta have the room decked out in holiday decor. We used a vacant room in our apartment building for the Christmas day dinner. Many foreign teachers were invited, only a handful came. I think when they found out there would be no alcohol, it didn't sound that fun to them any more.


And, after dinner, some card games for laughter and enjoyment.

Our personal Christmas tree given to me by a student from Russia. It is about three inches tall, and the putting away after Christmas is the best part!



It was a great Christmas celebration.
I don't have pictures of our Christmas Eve, but it was a very spiritual evening with two couples from our branch, including a family that had just gone through the temple. We ate pancakes, ham, and srambled eggs. We listened to President Uchtdorf's Christmas message, sang Christmas carols, and rejoiced in just being together for a wonderful evening.
Later on, Dounald Thomas told us he had never had a Christmas Eve event with his family before and he was so grateful for that evening.
I'll be glad to be in America next year.
But, I'll always remember and be grateful for this Christmas in China.






2 comments:

  1. America and your family MISSED you more!

    You have such a great attitude! Though, I think the simplicity of the season sounds quite nice. (Now if you could just have the simplicity PLUS family = perfect).

    I am sure you will look back on this year with great fondness...and it will grow even sweeter over the years. One thing is for sure...those students will never forget you and the Christmas cheer you introduced them to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After I show my kids the Chinese stuffing, now maybe they will be willing to eat mine! haha

    ReplyDelete