Thursday, December 16, 2010

Me vs. "Desperate Housewives"


"I love American television shows," the cute girl said after the karaoke contest we had just judged was over. I knew what she was about to say, and then she added another, "I also love Desperate Housewives."

I looked at her and since I didn't know her and would likely never see her again, said, "Let me tell you something. That show is not what American housewives are like at all!"

"Really?????????????" she looked shocked. "You mean they don't sit around and gossip behind each other's back?"

I wanted to throw up.

"I live in a neighborhood with lots of housewives. They are of all ages. They don't sleep around. They help each other. They tend each other's children. They take food when someone is sick. They care for the pets when someone is out of town. They care for one another. They laugh together, enjoy each other. And, they are not mean to one another."

Then she asked a question I could not answer...."Well, then, what is a show that would tell us about the real America?"

She had me on that one.

1 comment:

  1. I hate these stupid shows. The "real housewives of blah blah blah" are even worse.

    The housewives of which you speak live quiet lives. There lives are too boring to sell on prime-time so I am stumped as to what shows might be a better portrayal...?

    ReplyDelete