Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Me Vs. "Gossip Girl"


Mrs. Hackworth, May I have a question for you to ask."
"Ask away," I said to the girls gathered round.
"Do you know Upper East Side?"
"Are American girls as gossipy as in Gossip Girls?"
"Do all American girls live in such nice dormitory?"
"Is New York City beautiful place to live?"
We moved from questions to statements:
"I want to visit New York - seems so wonderful."
"I just love 'Gossip Girls.' Is so interesting."

Me: Do you all watch Gossip Girls?

"At night, all six of us sit at desks in row here and watch "Gossip Girls.'"

I've never seen Gossip Girls. Thankfully, I have been spared that.
But, I have seen these wonderful girls and their basic, small, very old dorm rooms. I see their innocence and goodness; their natural kindness and modesty; their love of family and loyalty to country; and I wish they had never laid eyes on GOSSIP GIRLS.
I've got some serious work ahead of me to help them see that America is not like it is portrayed on GOSSIP GIRLS!

No comments:

Post a Comment