Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Bus Ride


We were pushed, prodded, shoved as we, along with dozens of others, climbed aboard the bus at its first stop.


There was not even standing room only...just a sea of faces, bodies, odors, hands clutching the poles. Those lucky enough to have grabbed the few seats smiled coyly, knowing that they were lucky this time, but they were likely to be the ones standing on the next trip.


Across the aisle of Chinese faces, Allen said, "We will probably drive straight to our stop as there is not room for anyone to get on."


Wishful thinking indeed.


The first stop came quickly. The driver opened the front and back doors. No one climbed off the back steps. 15 people pushed their way in the front door. An audible groan came from the lips of those already squished to beyond-capacity in the bus.


Surely there must be laws against this many passengers. It was suffocating. Trying to juxtaposition myself into a more comfortable stance was impossible.


Next stop, one person off. Eight more on, including a man carrying HUGE boxes. "How will he squeeze those through here?" I thought. Then, I knew how, as his boxes pushed into my legs causing me to yelp in pain/surprise. A lady stepped on my foot.


As I rode the 40 minute ride, I thought of one of my students who told me she had ridden to her home in the North. She had stood for 11 hours on a bus crowded like this one. My ride seemed insignificant in comparison.


Finally, a few people began to get off at various stops....a little breathing room at last.


And, then, our stop. I bolted off the bus, straightened my apparel, and realized....


my mobile phone was gone!


6 comments:

  1. ONe time I got on a bus in Beijing and some farm boys crowded around me. I felt a jerk on my purse, so I pulled it close to me. The boys got off at the next stop. When I got home, I found a cut in the side of my purse. Luckily, my purse had an inner lining, which had not been cut. My wallet was saved. But it was scary to know that a knife was so close to my vital organs! Usually crime isn't as rampant in china because the penalty is so stiff. But I guess some people are desparate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! No, no, no. That is awful about the phone. Remember before you left you didn't want to buy a nice phone, just in case something like this would happen. How smart you were!!

    So now what? Will you get a new one?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. This reminds me of a dark night in Moscow, Russia, 17 years ago. The door had just closed on a very small elevator in a delapidated apartment building & the elevator began its slow ascent up the elevator shaft to the 11th floor, complaining with groaning gears & squealing pulleys.

    All the occupants except myself were college students, just in from freezing winds outside, snugly bundled in heavy coats, scarves, hats, & mufflers. Not wanting to leave anyone waiting behind, those crazy kids decided to ignore any occupancy limits & to fit everyone inside the elevator. We were packed tighter than a can of sardines. The girls giggled nervously, the boys making jokes, when the elevator just stopped. It was stuck between the 7th & 8th floor. There was no power, & no lights.

    I was squeezed against the rear wall of the elevator with my daughter, Sally. Both of us are prone to claustrophobia. There was not enough air to breathe & I struggled to calm my rapidly beating heart & approaching hysteria.

    Sweating profusely, I mentally commanded myself to not panic, act like an adult, & set a good example for these kids. I was certain Sally was carrying on a similar conversation in her own head. After several minutes (seeming an eternity) 2 of the boys were able to lift up & remove some paneling on the door. We were stuck smack in the middle between the 2 floors, but somehow were able to climb out and then head up the stairway to our destination. I still dream about it & wake with my heart pounding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot to mention that it was pitch black inside that little elevator. We could all feel each others' breath but couldn't see a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nooooo! And let me guess...you can't get a replacement until the Chinese New Year is over? Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's probably still on the bus somewhere.

    ReplyDelete