Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Whiner



"I'm so tired," I thought that morning, "of washing my face and hands in cold water. I'm tired of taking a shower in a freezing room....I'm tired of being served food in a cold restaurant and having it cool off before I take a second bite...I'm tired....."

And, then, it was literally like someone hit me over the head with a baseball bat.

Immediately I felt ashamed, embarrassed, and overwhelmed with gratitude.

A little voice on my shoulder loudly said, "Loni, for thousands of years, the Chinese have lived like this, and they didn't have a heater of any kind, or an electric blanket. The pioneers had all of this, and worse, traveling in snow and harsh winter conditions....they would have been thrilled to GO to a restaurant of any kind. The Native Americans had so much more of a challenge than you have. In fact, many people STILL LIVE IN THESE KINDS OF CONDITIONS!

so, Loni,

kwitcherballyakin!"

Point taken.

And, I'm humbly grateful for all that we have in this lovely city.

2 comments:

  1. When does the warm weather usually move in? It's true you have a lot to be grateful for. But there is nothing wrong with wanting to be warm. I truly hope it warms up soon. Can you remember the hot blistering days? Sounds like China is a land of extremes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of all people,those who are grateful and appreciative are easiest to live with. I think you are one of those: you recognize and appreciate the comforts of your ordinary life in Utah. I think it must be more difficult Western visitors than for those who have grown up expecting nothing more than what they've always known. Gratitude softens pain and heightens pleasure. We should all live in thanksgiving daily.

    ReplyDelete