Thursday, February 17, 2011

Synonym for Sidewalk

Toilet. And. Spitton. (China New World Dictionary)

It's something I can never get used to...people spitting right on the sidewalk and also using the sidewalk as a toilet.

Recently, as I was walking through the many stalls in the night market, the bookseller walked from behind his stall, and spit a huge glob right next to where his customers would be in five seconds. Gag.

As I was walking to the market last week, a man on a bicycle, let out a huge spit in the middle of the walkway. Now, tell me this, why couldn't he have just peddled to the side where the bushes were and let it out there?

It's just so strange to me. I cannot tell you how many times Allen and I have said to each other, “Watch out – there's a huge glob of spit in front of you!”

But, even more unsettling is the tendency to use the sidewalk as the toilet.
I. Kid. You. Not.

Here is a picture I snapped a few days ago. Adorable Girl Child in school canteen... needs to use potty....runs out front canteen door...squats on step....right where 2,000 students will soon rush in for lunch. The bushes were close by....but why bother?!?!?!

Boy children and grown MEN use the sidewalk often; it's surreal to me. Privacy is not to be bothered with.

When we first came to China, I saw rows and rows of little shops....there were NO TOILETS anywhere around. I remember thinking, “Where do all the people go to use the bathroom?”

Now, I know.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. I guess this is how you deal with overpopulation. Still a little bush training could go a long way...

    ReplyDelete