Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Random Ramblings - Again

1. Their skirts are very short; their shorts are very short, but for some reason, it's not at all like in America; they are not trying in any way to be sexy. It's very hot, so they wear short clothes. And, they are not skin tight. The tops they wear are very modest...no bosoms showing like in America. I find it innocently beautiful. They are so childlike; in fact, they refer to each other as boys and girls and when they talk about exercising, they say they are going to the playground. What college student in America says that?

2. I so WISH I could like the food. Allen is getting a little impatient about the food and me. Last night we ate at a canteen that he really likes. I picked out a pile of something that looked edible which was a pork dish. The pork was all fat (I often wonder, who gets the REAL meat? Not ever me, that's for sure.) It was burning hot, spicey. My mouth is still suffering. But, it's all so unappealing looking and smelling. I know it is my problem - I need to not be so picky. But, I have cut way back on potato chips - haven't eaten some for over a month! So, that is something, at least.

3. I want so badly to help these students improve their English! Last week, Stefani became very emotional as she described her worry about taking the oral English exam which would determine if she can study abroad. We are meeting before class each week to just talk and give her an opportunity to express herself. The competition in China is FIERCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So many students, so few spaces to go abroad. Heartbreaking. Oh, America, what a land of opportunity your provide for your citizens. Just to travel is a privilege not many have here in China.

4. Destina was so excited to share the delicious treats from her hometown of Beijing with me. She patiently explained each one and what it is made of. Oh, I definitely will NOT tell her that they gag me? I am saving some to take to America to share with my enemies. HA!

5. It is so humid that popcorn goes soggy after about one hour.

That's it for now.

1 comment:

  1. In New York, a friend joked, "Out West, the bread turns into toast when you leave it on the table during dinner." I always thought that was so funny!

    ReplyDelete