Monday, June 27, 2011

Dear Sumi - Whereever you are....



I owe you an apology.

You came to America as an exhange student from Asia and lived in our home. You were beautiful, tender, and shy.

You were always cold from the day you arrived on Aug 27.
Now, I understand about being cold in a foreign country.

You missed the food from your home, especially sushi, which was your father's business.
Now, I understand about missing the food from my home country.

You were often lonely and missed your friends and family dearly.
Now, I understand about missing family and friends. I, at least, however do have one person on whom I rely heavily for support.

You were frustrated about trying to communicate in a foreign language- even though you spoke a little English.
Now, I am so often frustrated trying to communicate the simplest of things - and I don't speak any Chinese.

So, my dear Sumi Honda from Japan, I would be much more sympathetic to your plight, much more patient in your silent sufferings, much more concerned about your feelings.

Oh, dear Sumi, if we were to do it all again, I would UNDERSTAND!

1 comment: