Monday, June 6, 2011

Going Natural




There were 14 different dishes of food on the round table with the revolving center.

There was:

turtle soup
shark fin soup
fish soup
breaded eggplant
cucumbers
fungi
lamb dish
very spicey green beans with chili and garlic
pumpkin
the traditional dragon boat festival sticky rice wrapped and cooked in bamboo leaves, which are then discarded
duck with the bones in
cooked vegetable platter with celery, onions, red peppers, snap peas

Each Chinese person around the table was enjoying and feasting on the delicious, healthy food. There likely were no artificial ingredients; just food from the earth and sea.

And, sadly, only two things tasted even remotely edible (actually, I didn't try all of it, so I can't say about some of it. We were in Hunan Province which is known for its very spicey, HOT food, so I didn't even try the dishes that were spicey hot.)

I couldn't help contrast this meal with a Thanksgiving dinner, which is extremely heavy on the carbs:
turkey basted with butter
stuffing
home-made rolls
corn
pumpkin pie

The tragedy of this comparison is that I have become accustomed to the high-fat, high carb American diet. I do not like the healthy, no artificial ingredient meal of the Chinese.

I have been seduced by the makers of the “STUFF” found in the American grocery store. And, that is sad.

I am going to try harder when we return to America in July. Can I do it?

To quote all the Chinese students....I will try my best.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this is kind of sad. But you are not alone. Sadly this is the downfall of many Americans and subsequent rise to the obesity epidemic. Yes, you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael Pollan's book "In Defense of Food". It will motivate you!

    ReplyDelete