Friday, June 24, 2011

Words Fail Me....

Maya Angelou could do it.

Charles Dickens could do it.

Robert Frost could do it.

Allen could do it.

My daughters could do it.

But, I cannot find the words to express my emotions of this past week, and particularly Friday morning. I'm left without the ability to capture my feelings.

So, I will just tell what happened.

A short movie was playing in the classroom. Individually each student then stepped outside to where I was seated in the hallway. Each, in turn gave me their memorized motivational poem which they had chosen from one of eight possibilities.

Some spoke with passion, believing in the words such as, 'believe in your dreams,' or 'press on,' or 'you can be what you want to be,' etc.

Their emotions, their feelings, their passion was exhilirating. These beautiful students with whom I had met 17 times over 17 weeks, were sharing their ideals, their dreams in the words of poets.

And, then came Henry – he had called himself Hades when Allen first had him in class last semester. Allen had suggested he change his English name to something more appropriate, so he became Henry. Henry sat in the back of my classroom. He often talked to Sky, the boy next to him. He often put his back pack on the top of the desk, thinking I could not see him playing with his Ipad – a gift from his Uncle.

Out in the hall, on this day, Henry gave his poem. Then he smiled, reached out his hand to shake mine. In a firm grasp, which I had taught them, Henry said, “Thank your for this term. I love you.”

Electricity surged through my body....

Henry is 19, over six feet tall, all boy, and he said to his 67 year-old wrinkled, aging teacher from America. I love you.

Would this scenario ever occur in America? Not likely...a college student complimenting his old, tired professor with the phrase, I love you?

In that one brief moment, all the expressions that former teachers had repeatedly told us; “you will LOVE your students” was realized a thousand fold.

And, how could I express to Henry what he and his 210 classmates had given me?

Again, for me, there are no words....except perhaps...

thank you for this unbelievable, indescribable experience.


Henry smiles happily at the first of the term, as I met with students in groups of four.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Your words didn't fail you. Your explanation of this was powerful. What a beautiful emotion from Henry. In America, that would just be seen as perverted. I love the innocent beauty of your students and love how you have shared these experiences with us. thank you. I know that if one feels that...so do many. You have truly touched those student's lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever you had no words! I love these experiences you are having. I have loved hearing of the sweetness and earnestness of these students...

    ReplyDelete