Friday, June 10, 2011

Iris and the Turning Point

Final Oral Exam: Give a two-minute presentation on a turning point in your life.

(I have tried to recreate Iris' story as accurately as possible:)

“My turning point occurred on May 27, 2000. That is the day my little sister was born. Because of China's one-child policy, when my mother became pregnant, she had to hide this condition. So, she stayed in our home. I resented that she could not go with me to places and to school. I could not have my friends see her. As her time for the baby to be born came nearer, she had to leave Guangzhou. I hated her. She had left me just when I needed her.

On the day my little sister was placed in my arms, I kissed her, and I was so ashamed at my feelings towards my mother. I loved my mother and my little sister. I was now a big sister and would have so much responsibility...so much to teach her. I grew up at that time.”

LingLing to Iris: So, Iris, when your mother came home with the baby, what happened because of the one-child policy?

Iris: We had to pay the government some money.

Iris - far left

1 comment:

  1. I think the insight this girl has to her feelings about her resentment of her mom is pretty impressive...and even more so that she would write about them. That is brave of her....and very sweet.

    ReplyDelete