Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Here Comes Trouble

“Is TROUBLE your English name?” I asked him the first day.

“Yes,” he answered, ducking his head slightly.

“Well, could I speak with you for a moment after class?”

“Okay,” I said at the end of the first day...see you next Wednesday. TROUBLE don't forget to just stop by and talk with me for a minute, please.”

He stopped by the desk, timid, eyes cast down.

“Where did you get the name, TROUBLE?

“From my classmates,” is what I THOUGHT he said...I can't be too sure.

“Do you know what TROUBLE means in English?”

“Yes,” he nodded.

“For this class, I'd like you to have a different name...is that okay?”

He pointed to the roll.....where he had written another name....Lawliet.

“Is that what you would like me to call you? Lawliet?” Again he nodded in the affirmative.

“Okay, Lawliet, that's great...see you next week.”

There'll be no more TROUBLE in this class!

1 comment: