Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Like Father; Like Daughter

As I was cleaning out my father's office area in the basement after his death at age 90, I was smiling ear to ear. His clutttered arena was literally strewn with cords, gadgets, gizmos, unopened computer programs that he hoped to figure out one day. There were interesting gadgets, that I had no clue what they were for. My dad was a gizmo afficianado. A man a little late for the techno age, but ready to jump on board. Oh, he loved little gizmos and gadgets.

And, I am his daughter.

I love to walk by the little outdoor stall selling little gizmos and gadgets; most of which I have no idea what they do, but they look so enticing.

If a NEW device comes out, I HAVE to have it.

Lots of early-mobile-phone-years ago, while sitting in the back seat of a car, Dorothy showed me how she could get the weather on her phone by dialing Google's phone number. Imagine, you could dial Google, and get the weather right there on your phone in the little teeny screen where the numbers were typed in. Oh, I just HAD to have a phone that could do that!

That same Dorothy showed me how she could watch videos on her Ipod, as well as listen to thousands, yes, THOUSANDS of songs. Oh, I wanted one of those to listen to the music we had strewn all over the house, yet never listened to. If I had one of those little Ipod thingies, I for sure would listen to all those CDS we had purchased over the years!

When Todd Searle came to church with his new IPad one Sunday, I was GREEN with desire, envy and jealousy. And that was right in CHURCH! Imagine how it would have been had I been – say, even out in the parking lot! I just HAD to have one of those.

Now, as you probably can tell, there is definitely a problem with this kind of thinking; it's very expensive. I married Mr. Financially Conservative Husband. He is using the same pencil he had as a junior high student. How could he possibly understand this illness; this compusion; this DESIRE; nay, this NEED to have the latest and greatest, even if the old is only 6 months old? He doesn't understand that it is genetic; I can't fight it.

So, that is why, for my birthday this year, I bought my own gift; an Itouch - 4th generation. It will totally satisfy my illness, I'm sure – (for at least 3 months).

Happy Birthday, kiddo!

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that "Dorothy" is my Aunt Dorothy. :) My Uncle Garn is the one who told me about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, my reasoning would be something like this: 1. buy "it" (whatever you "need") now because it's cheaper in China!
    2. buy "it"now because next year it will cost more....except for electronics which will probably cost less as technology outdates "it," however the next reason applies:
    3. buy "it" now so that when the newer better stuff coms out next year you'll know how to use it;
    but the best reason is
    4. buy "it" now, because you're worth it.

    Happy Birthday ITouch kiddo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? I thought RAH was the techno-head.

    Happy Birthday. You deserved it by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mother dear,

    did you know the iphone 3gs is only 49$? That's a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delirious, yes, you are right, it's your aunt DOT. I'm always trying to keep up with her...she's my techno wanna-be.

    Jeremy, what are you talking about $49 for an IPhone 3g....That can't possibly be right....where can you get that deal...only in crazy California! Right?!?!

    Amber. RAH is the techno head if it doesn't cost any money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete