Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It's Mighty Hot in Here

Okay, I want you to think of the spiciest/hottest food you have ever eaten....then multiply that by three.

That is how hot the dish was that I ordered from the menu. It looked innocuous enough in the picture.

The English underneath said, BEEF. Finally, a normal meat, I thought to myself, so I ordered it. The beautiful young waitress placed it before us. My goodness, it looked so good...I was very hungry after a breakfast of rice mixed in my yogurt.

RAH took a bite...now I want you to picture this...(RAH is not given to demonstrative behavior), but the look on his face was priceless....wish I had had my camera. I couldn't believe his look - in 45 years of marriage, I have never seen anything like it!

It was a look of total shock!!!! "Is it hot?" I asked - really stupid question. His face/mouth/lips were just numbed - who needs a dentist to numb your lips...try the beef dish in Guangzhou.

Interesting side not, the waitress noticed the food falling all over the tablecloth while we were eating with chopsticks, so she thoughtfully brought us a fork.

(The other dish in the picture is potatoes...now, they were very tasty!)

And, so the food adventure continues...

1 comment:

  1. I ran across your blog through Dorothy and Garn Huntington. (He is my Uncle). Our family lived in Beijing for 2 years back in 1993-1995. I'm interested to read about your adventures!

    The spice in this dish was probably what they refer to as "ma" which actually does numb your mouth!

    ReplyDelete