Thursday, September 23, 2010

Putting It All In Perspective

I think I'll take a shower:
America - turn on the faucet and presto, instant hot water.
China - try to remember to turn on the hot water heater and 15 to 20 minutes later - hot water
I'm grateful to have hot water.

Time for bed, I'll brush my teeth:
America - turn on the tap and brush teeth
China - go to the kitchen, fill the tea kettle, turn on the tea kettle, wait for the water to boil, pour boiling water over toothbrush, and then brush teeth
I'm grateful to have a stove and electricity.

An apple sounds delicious:
America - turn on the tap, wipe apple off - enjoy
China - put apple in water with 2 drops of vegetable scrub, scrub thoroughly, let soak for 10 minutes, then to be absolutely sure, pour boiling water over apple, peel to make absolutely double sure - enjoy
I'm grateful to have such a rich abundance and variety of food.

It didn't work, better return it:
America - get in the car, drive 2 short miles to Best Buy and no problemo - return item
China - unable to remember how to get to MEGA electronics store about 40 minutes away by taxi. Keep item in closet and chalk it up to experience; money never to be recouped.
I'm grateful to have access to transportation.

In the evening, time to check email :
America - turn on computer - presto - super high speed, check email and respond quickly
China - Sit and wait, sit and wait, sit and wait until this appears across screen: "Unable to connect to network, try again later." (3 a.m. being the optimum time to connect because no students are on at that time )
I'm grateful to have access to the internet.

Meet new friends and marvelous people:
America - anytime and everywhere
China - anytime and everywhere
I'm grateful for this opportunity!

1 comment:

  1. All the things we take so much for granted and don't even think about it. We need to appreciate more all that we have!

    ReplyDelete