Thursday, September 30, 2010

Sophomores - 4 plus Zero

What do you get when you put 54 highly-competitive students in a brand new program of oral business English?

You get a classroom of high achievers and one very intimidated, scared-out-of-her wits teacher. This is the Tuesday night class where we go teach at the mega campus which is one and a half hours away.

Here are some of their career goals:
to be the richest man in the world
judge
to be a boss
business woman
Ceo of a company
translator/international journalist
intrepeter or engineer
professor of economics
clinic psychologist
travel all over the world
and, perhaps the wisest of all comes from Rebecca - "just to be happy!"

As you can see, each has his own computer station with headsets. I can look at the teacher station monitor and pick which student or students I want to listen to. (Well, I could if I knew how to use it, but there is just one teeny problem; the instructions are all in Chinese and the lab director only speaks Chinese. Ah, there's that language barrier again...it creeps up all the time!)

So, my stomach aches again....how do I listen individually to 54 students and grade them on their oral ability/improvements?

This gig is a challenge; it's very hard work, very long hours, very little pay, and yet MANY of the BYU teachers who do it once come back again for a 2nd year, or more.

I'm not sure I can come back for a second week.

1 comment:

  1. OH!!! I CAN'T IMAGINE BEING WHERE YOU ARE. I would pack up and go home. 54 students, and do they all look alike?

    ReplyDelete